As an interview coach, my clients often ask me the most common job interview questions they should expect from their interviewers. While it is impossible to anticipate every possible question that may come your way, there are a few dozen questions I see frequently repeated during job interviews.
Below are some of the most common interview questions you can expect when interviewing for a new job or looking for a promotion.
33 Most Common Job Interview Questions
2. Why do you want to work for our company?
3. Why are you interested in this role specifically?
4. What excites you most about the job posting for the role you’re applying to?
5. What excites you least about the job posting for the role you’re applying to?
7. What are your greatest areas of opportunity?
8. What from your career are you most proud of?
9. What makes you unique? (MY VARIATION: What makes you fabulous?)
10. What are you passionate about?
11. What do you do in your free time?
12. Tell me about a time you demonstrated leadership.
13. Tell me about a time you took initiative.
14. Tell me about a time you thought outside the box.
15. Tell me about a time you made an unpopular decision.
16. Tell me about a time you had a major setback.
17. Tell me about a mistake you made.
18. What steps do you take before making a decision?
19. How do you stay organized?
20. How do you prioritize competing priorities and deadlines?
21. How do you set goals?
22. How do you handle ambiguity?
23. How do you handle stress?
24. What do you look for in a supervisor?
25. What role do you typically take on a team?
26. Tell me something that is not on your resume.
27. What is your working style?
28. How would your current colleagues describe you?
29. Where do you see yourself in five years?
30. How do you practice professional development?
31. What questions do you have for us?
33. When can you start?
Below are additional helpful interview preparation articles as you prepare for your job interview.